Jail Nursing Program
Under general supervision, the Registered Nurse provides medical care to maintain the mental and physical health of Wayne County Jail inmates.
Wayne County Public Health
105 N. Lafayette Street | Corydon, Iowa 50060
Monday - Friday: 8am - 4:00pm
WAYNE COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE
What is the
Jail Nursing Program?
Under general supervision, the Registered Nurse provides medical care to maintain the mental and physical health of Wayne County Jail inmates. The nurse performs first aid and provides emergency medical care as required.
Inmates incarcerated longer than 2 weeks will have a health history assessment. In addition, inmates may receive nursing care based on need. Sick call is conducted a minimum of three times per week. Sick call can be accessed by inmate’s completion of a Sick Call Request form. Inmates can be seen for any medical, dental or mental health complaint.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES MAY INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO, THE FOLLOWING:
- Assesses individuals for medical and mental health needs.
- Reviews medical records and contacts medical providers and pharmacies to verify illnesses, chronic conditions, medications, and other treatment or special needs.
- Distributes medications; reviews medical records to prepare appropriate medications and doses.
- Reviews and addresses medical requests; gathers medical charts; facilitate exams for medical providers; checks and records vitals, weight, height, and temperature; administers tests and collects blood samples as needed; cleans and dresses wounds.
- Coordinates care for individuals being transferred for temporary or permanent placement at other facilities.
- Provides education to inmates/residents and facility staff regarding health issues.
- Responds to medical emergencies of varying levels of severity.
- Identifies, monitors, and secures supplies and equipment necessary to provide care as appropriate.
- Participates in department efforts related to accreditation/reaccreditation, performance management, quality improvement, and workforce development.
- Ability to exemplify, by his/her actions, the County’s standards
- Performs related duties as assigned.